Friday 12 June 2009

Running for Darren

The wee guy in the picture will be 5 on the weekend of the race and as a special treat he is getting to watch his Uncle Davie try and finish this race that has dominated his life since June last year. As I've said before, Darren has mobility and learning difficulties, but, if you get to meet him next week, I guarantee he'll melt your heart.
I have fund-raising sponsor sheets doing the rounds locally and in Irvine where Darren lives. As it is for an individual, I can't do it on any of the fund-raising websites that only make payments to registered charities, but I need to have the cash available to Darren and his parents to pay for any equipment or facilities they will have to purchase. Even in my deepest depressions when I've thought it would be too much for me to do this race, the thought of the wee guy, and what he's had to put up with in his short life, has given me the motivation I've needed and now that he's coming to watch....
Three runs this week after getting over the fall, although the back muscle is still quite painful, it's at least letting me breathe now. After Tuesday's club run I had my jogging group on Wednesday. Most, if not all of them, are running the Polaroid 10k on Sunday and many have run the full series, so I gave them, and I, an easy run of about 3 and a 1/2 miles to Balloch, round Lomond Shores and back.
Last night's club run was again easy paced, about 7 or 8 miles on the cycle track, round Balloch Park via Fairy Glen and Boturich Road and back by the outward route.
The club are busy this week with many members marshalling at the 5k and 10k and we had enough volunteers to allow me to stand down for the purposes of supporting my jogging group and clubmates and take a few photos.
I am also driving north over the weekend to familiarise Mairi with the checkpoints and meeting places where she can feed me. As the Caley Challenge is on it'll be busy on the Saturday but we've only got a week...... A WEEK!

1 comment:

Rachel Jayne Stevenson/Rogers said...

Hi Davie

I will sponsor you will try and catch up with you sometime...
It's always humbling to see and hear what so many others have to endure, and usually with no complaint or bitterness, most of all kids.

R x