Friday, 23 May 2008

Polaroid Helensburgh 10k

After a quiet week training wise last week I decided to do a wee speed session at Posties prior to coaching. Good warmup before 6 x 200m with 1 min recovery, the aim not to tire myself but to get the muscles working at a rate faster than they have been. Reps around 42 secs on a blaize track that leaves a lot to be desired, body swerving tractor tyres left by the strongmen who have an event their in a couple of weeks. That went well, but after coaching we decided to do our usual progressive relay with 2 teams of 9 running 50 metres every lap until they are all back at their starting point. Fine except we only had 8 in each team and I was roped in with one of the other coaches. Thanks to Alan for jogging his lkeg whilst my old legs pumped for all they were worth. The only thing I will say is that I didn't drop the baton once in 16 changeovers!
Missed the club for some family duties. Taking my son and nephew to Kirkintilloch for Dumbarton Accies league cup final. I used to do the injuries and massage for the Accies so it was a plkeasant duty to go watch them win 2 - 1 in extra time.
Even better to see the club left back amongst those at Helensburgh running the 10k on Thursday. More of that in a mo.
The jogscotland girls had turned out in force at the Women's 10k on Sunday and I spent the morning, camera in hand, taking as many photos as I could.
Debbie, if your still following this blog, give me an e-mail adress as I have a few of the Garscube girls.
On Wednesday I let them off lightly and let them run a lop through Balloch, but for a wee change I ran with some of the faster girls on a further loop through the park and Lomond shores. About 55 mins. Left them exchanging war stories and PB tales so i could get back to see the footie.

On Thursday it was my turn. A reasonable turn out of Millies and Jimmy Mackenzies daughter Isabel making her race debut. Started off fairly well back in the crowd so I wouldn't get carried away and was soon overtaken by Yvonne Boyle of Dumbarton. Her sister Elaine who I had beaten at Troon then came past me, so I knew I had started reasonably paced. I passed and repassed her a couple of times, mainly due to taking the shortest route at the generous corners and working hard on the hill at Sinclair St. Wasn't really enjoying it at that point but by the time I got to 5k in about 2250 I started to feel good and kicked on into what was a stiff breeze on the run back to the school. Finished fairly strongly in around 45,25 so an improvement on Troon, although I didn't feel as good as I did at Troon. Funny that.
Saw a lot of old faces from my previous life in the police, including Andy Bates, Frank Krievs and Anne, the girl who succeeded me in one of my posts. She was also having her first race after being encouraged by her hubby Stewart...... wish I could remember her name......It'll come to me! Never got a chance to speak to Frank who was at Kilcreggan when I was at Luss.
Rushed off to see..... the footie. Wish I hadn't bothered. Oh dear there's always next year.

1 comment:

Debbie Martin-Consani said...

Hey Davie,
Thanks for the pictures. Must remember to smile during races. I've posted them on my blog - to scare everyone.
Great run in Helenburgh! Especially considering how muggy and windy it was.
Take care.