Monday 15 December 2008

Flu? Manflu? Birdflu?

A week ago I took the first steps of a training run worried about aggravating my toe and felt good so I ran 10 miles on Tuesday. Wakening up on Wednesday to the first signs of flu (as described by NHS24!)was a blow. Each and every symptom of the real 'flu was ticked off in turn as each symptom took it's turn at the head of the discomfort chart. Then the deciding factor...... Mairi wasn't ridiculing my illness. It was the confirmation I needed. I was really ill. Despite the occasional Blogland dig about manflu from the lady members, I knew, I knew I was really unwell.
One other possibility though was that I had bird flu. Checked the websites for the symptoms and breathed a rasping sigh of relief when I saw that if I wasn't losing control of my car on straight roads and wasn't weeping uncontrollably watching Alexandra singing Hallelujah, then I was probably safe. Final confirmation came when I didn't crack up at the Strictly voting debacle.
So I decided on today as my first venture back into running. A short, slow venture to be sure, just 3 and a 1/2 miles on my local mixed road surfaced circuit. Wary of my chest still being a wee bit congested but hoping to get the lungs clearer by my efforts, I hardly tired my legs and, after contacting Pacepusher for his views on getting started again as he had also suffered the lurgy, I won't be pushing any boundaries this week. My only saving grace is that it's still December and it's a long way to JUNE.

3 comments:

Rachel Jayne Stevenson/Rogers said...

Hi Davie

Thanks for your post on my blog. Don't worry I won't be trying that one at night..prefer my chances up hills in the dark...although I do believe the police met the hill runners as they returned to their cars one night thinking that any one running around Cochno hills at night must be up to no good!

Rachel Jayne Stevenson/Rogers said...

Meant to say take your time getting back....you got plenty of time and given that it was REAL flu you should definitely milk it!

Billy said...

Davie,

Surely us blokes can't catch bird flu?

Get well soon.

Billy