Friday 17 April 2009

West Highland Way - Recce of Rowardennan to Inversnaid

The only part of the Fling route I hadn't been on previously is the above stretch. I had no idea what it was like other than there is a climb out of Rowardennan. So I set off this afternoon after circumnavigating West Dunbartonshire trying to get to the bottom of my car problem. Eventually settling for the local Vauxhall dealer at Dumbuck. They should know what to do, as everyone else seems to think it's another garages problem. mechanics think it's a bodywork problem, Bodywork think auto electric, etc etc.
Anyway, as I left Lindsays I turned up to Bowling Roundabout to head back to Balloch. And just kept going due to a tailback caused by roadworks at Milton. Went the scenic route by Carbeth which took a bit longer but was a pleasant trip. I arrived at Rowardennan about 2.30 and set off at an easy pace, not wanting to blow up as I didn't know what I was going find. Plenty of walkers and I managed to keep a decent pace up the hill, evoking a well done from more than one! Poor souls had probably been walking all day and when the old guy goes past at a jog having run less than 2 miles he gets the plaudits! Anyway I found the going good,and kept up the pace until hitting a stretch of rooty,rocky,steppy going that was more like what I expected. Views spectacular on a nice cool day where the sun made the occasional appearance between clouds. The only drawback was one of Cordner's cruise boats giving the guided tour of the loch to the residents of Stirlingshire as well as their paying passengers. Does it have to be that loud?
Reached Inversnaid in 1hr 22 and took 10minutes to eat crisps and a banana. Refilled water bottle from remnants of a Gatorade I'd had to wash the crisps down and set off back. Is it my imagination or is the climb back up steeper on that side? My natural heart rate monitor started it's alarm. You know the one you see in cartoons when the heart beats out of your chest? BADANG BADANG. Slow down,boy.
Seemed to walk a lot but got back to Rowardennan in just a couple of minutes slower than the outward journey. Maybe a fast descent into Rowardennan helped. Quick rub down and change of clothes and home in time to make the tea! After a nice cool bath.

No comments: